Where Do Bugs Hide in the Home?
Before you can get rid of indoor ants, roaches, and spiders, you need to know where to find them.
Bugs are sneaky little things, taking advantage of the tiniest openings to find their way into your home. Cracks, crevices, and gaps are all potential “Come in, we’re open!” signs for pests like ants, roaches, and spiders. Unfortunately, once they’re inside, it can be hard to figure out where these bugs are hiding—unless you know where to look.
Here are some popular indoor hiding places for bugs.
Attics, Basements & Closets
Because they’re undisturbed a lot of the time, these storage areas serve as ideal indoor places for bugs (especially spiders and cockroaches) to hide. Cockroaches particularly appreciate cool, dark corners, moisture-rich floor drains, and sump pumps, while spiders adore dry and quiet places. Check for bugs behind boxes and stored furniture, and in hollow spaces like floor joists and rafters. Plus, look for spiders in crevices, storage boxes, the insides of shoes, and even inside hanging clothing.
How to get rid of bugs in attics, basements, and closets:
- Eliminate clutter.
- Take out the trash.
- Recycle newspapers, cartons, and cardboard.
- Vacuum or sweep away webs and egg sacs.
- Seal any visible cracks or openings with spray foam or caulk.
- Create a long-lasting bug barrier by applying Ortho® Home Defense Max® Indoor Insect Killer with Extended Reach Comfort Wand®, especially along basement foundations, attic vents, and garage entrances. A single application lasts up to 12 months*.
Bathrooms & Laundry Rooms
Thanks to their warm, moist conditions, bathrooms and laundry rooms are beloved by bugs of all types, including cockroaches. The primary places they like to hide are under sinks and toilets, underneath and behind washers and dryers, behind picture frames and wall decorations, and in and around vents, ducts, and registers.
- How to get rid of bugs in bathrooms and laundry rooms:
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Pick up piles of wet towels or clothing.
- Caulk around cracks and crevices, including under sinks and toilets, and around thresholds.
- To kill home-invading insects – and keep them out for up to 12 months* – apply Ortho® Home Defense Max® Indoor Insect Killer with Extended Reach Comfort Wand® wherever bugs hide. Non-staining, it dries fast, gives off no fumes, and leaves no residue.
Kitchens & Pantries
Ants, cockroaches, and other indoor bugs favor the kitchen for one simple reason: access to plenty of food and water. Look for them inside cabinets where food is stored, as well as under sinks where there’s usually a bit of moisture from drain pipes and garbage disposals. Warm appliances like refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, and toaster ovens are literal hot spots for insects, too. They’re also partial to trash cans, thanks to all the food they can find there.
- How to get rid of bugs in kitchens and pantries:
- Remove food sources, like empty beverage cans, open food containers, crumbs, and pet food bowls.
- Clean up spills, wipe up messes, and wash dirty dishes as soon as possible.
- Collect and remove all trash on a regular basis. Seal window and door seams.
- Adjust window screens and door sweeps to ensure a tight fit.
- Kill bugs and create a barrier with Ortho® Home Defense Max® Indoor Insect Killer with Extended Reach Comfort Wand®. The one-touch Comfort Wand® makes it simple to treat any size area, no bending, pumping, or hand fatigue required.
So now you’re onto the stealthy ways of indoor bugs like ants, spiders, and roaches. Not only do you know where these pests like to hide, but you also know how to get rid of them and keep them from coming back. Congratulations--you got your home back!
* up to 12-month protection against ants, roaches, and spiders indoors, on non-porous surfaces