Protecting Our Environment at Scotts Miracle-Gro
Connecting with nature is our business, caring for it is in our values.
Any time you use a Scotts Miracle-Gro product, you’re connecting with the earth. We take that seriously, and understand the responsibility to protect our environment begins with us. Nature is our business, and we’re always working to make sure our products leave as little impact on it as possible.
Improving Our Pollinator Habitat
Hummingbirds, butterflies, bees: Without these essential pollinators, plants may not be able to reproduce. Here are some ways our products protect your home while looking out for wildlife, too.
- Our garden control products have been 100 percent neonicotinoid-free since 2019.
- Ortho Home Defense encourages safe and humane rodent- and pest-prevention.
- Ortho GroundClear is glyphosate-free.
- Our essential oil formulas work against bugs but are safe around kids and pets (when used as directed).
Fostering Environmental Innovation
As a company, ScottsMiracle-Gro is committed to fostering innovation and improving our global environment across all of our brands. From production to packaging to the disposal of our products, we continue to refine our methods and are committed to reaching 145 million Americans through environmental partnerships by 2025.
- We are the nation's largest recycler of green waste. Each year, we redirect 5 billion pounds out of landfills and into high-value compost.
- With our environmental partners, we’ve helped tackle nutrient pollution by protecting or restoring more than 4 million square feet of U.S. wetland and shoreline habitat. /span>
- The majority of our fiber-based packaging is responsibly sourced by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative or Forest Stewardship Council.
- In 2020, we diverted more than 23,000 tons of waste from landfills. We continue to find opportunities to reduce it further, using our centralized waste management system. We’re also piloting a project using new recycling methods to tackle plastic bag waste.
- The amount of plastic material used in our packaging will be reduced by 3 percent and we’ll triple the amount of recycled content in our packaging by 2025.
- We’re converting 20 percent of our sales fleet to hybrid vehicles by 2025.