Ortho® Bug B-gon™ Lawn Insect Killer
Overview & Benefits
Ortho® Bug B-gon™ Lawn Insect Killer works above and below the surface to kill 142 insects. The granules kill by contact and work on ants, fleas, ticks, grubs, spiders, crickets, beetles and more (see back panel for full list). Protect your lawn, landscapes, flower and vegetable gardens, as well as the perimeter around your home against pests for up to 6 months (see product back panel for details). Apply at first sight of insect activity or damage. You can also pre-emptively apply in the early spring to prevent infestation.
Use a Scotts® spreader to apply granules, and then thoroughly water in the area after application. Allow the area to dry before children and pets re-enter. One 20-lb. bag treats up to 33,000 sq. ft. of lawn and landscape. Your yard is a place for family and pets to enjoy. That’s why Ortho® products are designed with care to provide effective solutions to insect problems.
Pairs Nicely With
- Product Specs
- Protect your lawn landscape and garden from bugs with Ortho® Bug B-gon™ Lawn Insect Killer; kills 142 insects, including ants, ticks, spiders, grubs, and fleas; kills above and below the ground
- OUTDOOR BUG KILLER: It kills all listed insects, and it controls ants outdoors for 6 months (except pharaoh, carpenter and harvester ants)
- KILLS BY CONTACT: Lawn insect killer starts to kill in minutes (except against fire ants), plus it works above and below the surface of the lawn
- VERSATILE: Can be used on your lawn, ornamentals, home perimeter and vegetable gardens (refer to back panel for listed edibles); one 20-lb. bag treats up to 33,000 sq. ft.
- EASY TO USE: Apply with a Scotts® spreader and water in; allow the area to dry before children and pets re-enter
How to use
Applying to lawns
- Use a Scotts® spreader to evenly apply 0.6 to 1.2 lbs. of Ortho® Bug B-gon™ Lawn Insect Killer across 1,000 sq. ft.
- Leave a one-foot wide untreated strip of lawn next to hard surfaces (like sidewalks and driveways) and sewer drains to prevent potential runoff into sewers and waterways.
Applying to ornamentals & flowers
- Spread 0.3 to 0.6 lbs. evenly over a 500 sq. ft. area.
Applying to vegetable gardens
- Use 0.6 lbs. of product for a 500 sq. ft. area. Spread evenly across the area and then work into the top 4 to 6 inches of soil.
Applying to home foundations
- Spread 0.3 to 0.6 lbs. for each 500 sq. ft. (2 ft. x 250 ft.) area.
Where to use
Use on residential lawns, ornamentals, flower beds, tomatoes, sweet corn, green peas, sugar snap peas, snow peas, green beans (wax beans, snap beans), dry beans (black-eyed peas, cow pea), cucumber, gourds, muskmelon, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, broccoli, Chinese broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi, mustard greens, eggplant, head lettuce, peppers (bell and non-bell), and along home foundations.
Where not to use
- This should not be used on hard surfaces like sidewalks, driveways, and streets.
- In New York State, this product may not be applied to any grass or turf area (lawns) within 100 ft. of a body of water (lake, pond, river, stream, wetland, drainage ditch). In New York State, you can make a single repeat application of this product if there are signs of renewed insect activity, but not sooner than two weeks after the first application.
When to apply
- Apply to lawns and around home foundations early in the spring or summer to prevent infestation. Otherwise, apply at the first sign of insect damage or activity.
- Applications can be made to ornamentals, flowers, and vegetable gardens just before planting or as plants emerge.
- Do not make applications in the rain.
How often to apply
Control for lawns
- For season long, 3 & 6 month control, apply 2.3 lbs. of product for every 1000 sq. ft./0.6 lbs. of product for every 250 sq. ft.
Control for ornamentals & flowers
- Repeat the application if there are renewed signs of insect activity.
Control around home foundations
- For 3 & 6 month control, apply 1.2 lbs. of product for every 500 sq. ft. or 0.6 lbs. of product for every 250 sq. ft. Re-apply after 3 months if necessary.
- Scotts® drop spreader - Setting 6 for .6 lb, 8 for 1.2 lbs., 9-3/4 for 2.3 lbs.
- Scotts® broadcast/rotary spreader - Setting 2-1/4 for .6 lb, 3-1/4 for 1.2 lbs., 4-1/2 for 2.3 lbs.
- Scotts® Elite Spreader - Setting 3-3/4 for .6 lb, 4-1/4 for 1.2 lbs., 4-3/4 for 2.3 lbs.
Ants (Acrobat, Allegheny Mound, Argentine, Big Headed, Black Turf, Citronella, Cornfield, Crazy, Fire, Ghost, Lasius spp, Little Black, Odorous, Pavement, Pyramid, Red Harvester, Small Honey, Sugar, Thief, White-Footed), Armyworms (Fall, Lawn), Beetles (Asiatic Garden, European Chafers, Green June, Masked Chafers, May/June, Oriental, Sugarcane, Billbugs (Bluegrass & Hunting), Black Turfgrass Ataenius, Dichondra Flea, Ground, Lady Beetles (Asian, Convergent, Seven-Spotted, Thirteen-Spotted & Twice-Stabbed), Weevils (Annual Bluegrass)), Bristletails, Caterpillars (Bagworms, Cutworms (Black, Bronzed, Granulate & Variegated), Fiery Skipper, Striped Grassworm, Webworms (Sod & Tropical Sod)), Centipedes, Chinch Bugs, Crickets (Arizona, Common Short Tailed, Eastern Striped, Fall Field, House, Indies Short Tailed, Northern Wood, Sand Field, Southeastern Field, Southern Wood, Spring Field, Texas Field, Tropical, Variable Field, Vocal Field, Western Striped), Earwigs, Firebrats, Fleas (cat), Flies (European Crane (adult and larvae), Frit, Fruit), Fungus Gnat (Adults and Larvae), Grasshoppers, Greenbug, Grubs (In vegetable gardens), Leaf-footed bugs, Leafhoppers, Leafrollers (Omnivorous), Mealybugs, Millipedes, Mites, Mole Crickets (Southern, Tawny, European, Northern, Prairie, Short-Winged), Moths (Lucerne), Pillbugs, Plant Bugs, Scale, Scorpions (Arizona Stripetail, California Common, Dune, Eastern Sand, Lesser Stripetail, Northern, Southern Unstriped, Yellow Ground), Seed Maggots, Sowbugs, Spiders (Burrowing Wolf, Longbodied Cellar, Marbled Cellar, Pirate Wolf, Shortbodied Cellar, Thinlegged Wolf), Spittle Bugs (Two Lined), Springtails, Ticks (American Dog, Brown Dog, Deer (including those that transmit Lyme Disease)), Treehoppers, Webworms (Grass), Weevils (Black Vine (larvae)), Root (larvae)), and Wireworms.
This product is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates. To protect the environment, do not allow this pesticide to enter or run off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters, or surface waters. Applying this product in calm weather when rain is not predicted for the next 24 hours will help to ensure that wind or rain does not blow or wash pesticide off the treatment area. Sweeping any product that lands on a driveway, sidewalk, or street, back onto the treated area of the lawn will help to prevent runoff to water bodies or drainage systems.
- A 10 lb. bag can treat up to 16,500 sq. ft.
- A 20 lb. bag can treat up to 33,000 sq. ft.
- Avoid contact with eyes, skin, or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet.
- If the product gets inside of the user's clothing/personal protection equipment (PPE), remove the materials immediately, wash thoroughly, and put on clean clothing.
- Causes moderate eye irritation. Harmful if swallowed.
- This is a nonrefillable container. Do not reuse.
- If empty: Place in the trash or offer for recycling (if available).
- If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place any unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.
Kids & Pets
People and pets may re-enter the area after it has dried.
If the grass is tall enough to touch the bottom of the spreader, mow before applying.
This is not the product label. Always read and follow the product label before use.
- If applying with a Scotts® drop spreader first apply two header strips, then operate the spreader the longest way of the lawn. Overlap the wheel marks to ensure uniform coverage. When you reach the header strips or have completed the application, shut the spreader off.
- If applying with a Scotts® EdgeGuard® Rotary spreader make each pass about 5 feet from the previous wheel track so that some overlapping occurs. Walk at a steady pace to ensure an even application. When you have completed the application, shut the spreader off.
- If applying with an Elite spreader, make a perimeter pass with EdgeGuard® on to protect areas not to be treated. Make parallel internal passes 6 ft. apart to ensure even coverage. When making turns or when you have completed the application, release the trigger.
- Treat the entire lawn, not just the browned areas.
Using with Other Products
For best results, apply with a Scotts® drop, EdgeGuard®, or Elite spreader.
Water the treated area following an application.
What to Expect
- Kills insects above and below the ground.
- Provides 6 months of ant control (excluding pharaoh, carpenter, and harvester ants).
Do not mix or allow this product to come into contact with an oxidizing agent as a hazardous chemical reaction may occur.