Ortho® BugClear™ Lawn Insect Killer1
Overview & Benefits
Protect your backyard and enjoy your lawn with Ortho® BugClear™ Lawn Insect Killer1 Granules. The fast-acting insect killer starts to work in minutes (except against fire ants) and kills by contact to protect against all listed insects including ants, spiders, ticks, armyworms, fleas and grubs. Use on your lawn, ornamentals, home perimeter, vegetable garden and flower beds to protect against pesky insects, killing them outside before they come inside (refer to product label for complete lists).
Works above and below the ground. Create a long-lasting bug barrier for up to 6-months of ant control and 3-months of residual protection against spiders, ticks, beetles, and other listed insects (see product label for full list). Apply the yard bug killer early in the spring before infestation or whenever insect activity or damage is first observed. For best results, apply with a Scotts® spreader and then immediately water in granules. Each 10-lb. bag treats up to 16,500 sq. ft.
Pairs Nicely With
- Product Specs
- Protect your lawn and garden with Ortho® BugClear® Lawn Insect Killer1; kills by contact and starts to kill in minutes (except fire ants); works above and below the ground; provides long-lasting lawn insect control
- LONG-LASTING CONTROL: Continues to guard and protect your lawn for up to 3 months of residual control against spiders, ticks, armyworms, and beetles and up to 6 months against ants (see product label for insects controlled)
- FAST ACTING: Granules start to kill lawn bugs and garden insects in minutes (except fire ants)
- OUTDOOR BUG KILLER: Use insect killer to protect your lawn, ornamentals, home perimeter, vegetable garden and flower beds; kill pesky insects outdoors before they come inside (see product label for insects controlled)
- EASY-TO-USE: For best results apply with a Scotts® Spreader when you first notice insect activity or damage, then water in; treats up to 16,500 sq. ft.
How to use
- For best results, apply with a Scotts® spreader.
- If the grass in the area to be treated can reach the bottom of the spreader, it should be mowed prior to the application.
- Making the Application
- If using a Scotts® drop spreader, apply two header strips and then operate the spreader across the longest way of the lawn. Overlap the wheel marks to ensure uniform coverage.
- If using a Scotts® EdgeGuard® spreader make each pass about 5 feet from the wheel track so that some overlapping occurs. Walk at a steady pace so that you are slightly overlapping each pass.
- If using a Scotts® Elite spreader make parallel internal passes 6 feet apart. Release the trigger when making turns.
- Always turn the spreader off when it is not in-use.
- When applying to lawns, leave a one-foot wide untreated strip next to hard surfaces to prevent any potential run-off.
- When applying next to a home foundation, apply in a 2-foot wide band parallel to the foundation.
- When treating vegetable gardens, work the treatment into the top 4 to 6 inches of the soil.
- Water treated area immediately for the best results.
Where to use
Use on lawns, ornamentals, flower gardens, vegetable gardens, and around home foundations.
Where not to use
Do not apply to hard surfaces such as sidewalks, driveways, and patios.
When to apply
Apply in early spring or summer when insects or damage first appear, the weather is calm, and rain is not predicted for the next 24 hours.
How often to apply
When treating the perimeter of the home foundation, re-apply after 3 months if necessary.
- Scotts® drop spreader - Setting 6 for 0.6 lb., 8 for 1.2 lbs., 9-3/4 for 2.3 lbs.
- Scotts® broadcast/rotary spreader - Setting 2-1/4 for 0.6 lb., 3-1/4 for 1.2 lbs., 4-1/2 for 2.3 lbs.
- Scotts® Elite Spreader - Setting 3-3/4 for 0.6 lb., 4-1/4 for 1.2 lbs., 4-3/4 for 2.3 lbs.
Armyworms, Ants (Carpenter, Pharaoh, Acrobat, Allegheny Mound, Argentine, Big Headed, Black Turf, Citronella, Cornfield, Crazy, Ghost, Little Black, Odorous, Pavement, Pyramid, Red Harvester, Small Honey, Thief, White Footed), Armyworms (Fall, Lawn), Beetles (Billbugs (Bluegrass & Hunting), Black Turfgrass Ataenius, Dichondra Flea, Ground, Lady Beetles (Asian, Convergent, Seven-spotted, Thirteen-Spotted & Twice-Stabbed), and Weevils (Annual Bluegrass), Asiatic Garden, European Chafers, Green June, Masked Chafers, May/June, Oriental, and Sugarcane), Bristletails, Caterpillars (Bagworms, Cutworms (Black, Bronzed, Granulate, and Variegated), Fiery Skipper, Striped Grassworm, Webworms (Sod & Tropical Sod), Centipedes, Chiggers, Chinch Bugs, Crickets (Arizona, Common Short Tailed, Eastern Striped, Fall Field, House, Indies Short Tailed, Northern Wood, Sand Field, Southeastern Field, Southern Wood, Spring Field, Texas Field, Tropical, Variable Field, Vocal Field, Western Striped), Earwigs, Firebrats, Fleas, Flies (European Crane (larvae and adult), Fruit), Grasshoppers, Greenbug, Leafhoppers, Leaf-footed Bugs, Leafrollers (omnivorous), Mealybugs, Millipedes, Mole Crickets (Southern, Tawny), Fungus Gnat (Adults and Larvae), Grubs, Mites, Mole Crickets (European, Northern, Prairie, Short-Winged), Moths (Lucerne), Pillbugs, Plant Bugs, Scale, Scorpions (Arizona Stripetail, California Common, Dune, Eastern Sand, Lesser Stripetail, Northern, Southern Unstriped, Yellow Ground), Seed Maggots, Sowbugs, Spiders (Burrowing Wolf, Longbodied Cellar, Marbled Cellar, Pirate Wolf, Short Bodied Cellar, Thin Legged Wolf), Spittlebugs (Two Lined), Springtails, Ticks (American Dog, Brown Dog, Deer (including those that transmit Lyme Disease)), Treehoppers, Webworms, Wireworms, and Weevils (Black Vine (larvae), Root (larvae)).
To protect the environment, do not allow pesticide to enter or run-off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters, or surface waters. Rinsing application equipment over the treated area will help avoid run-off to water bodies or drainage systems. Sweep any product that lands on a driveway, sidewalk, or street back into the treated area.
- 10-lb. bag treats up to 16,500 sq. ft.
- 20-lb. bag treats up to 33,000 sq. ft.
- Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling this product and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet.
- Do not mix, or allow to come into contact with, oxidizing agents.
- If empty: Non-refillable container. Do not reuse or refill this container. Place in trash or for recycling if available.
- If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.
Kids & Pets
People and pets may enter the treated area after it has dried.
If the grass is tall enough to touch the bottom of the spreader, it should be mowed before an application is made.
This is not the product label. Always read and follow the product label before use.
- During application, do not allow pesticide to enter or run-off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters, or surface waters.
- Do not make applications in the rain.
- For season long lawn control, apply 2.3 lbs. for every 1,000 sq. ft. When treating ornamentals & flowers, apply 0.3 to 0.6 lb. of product across 500 sq. ft. To treat vegetable gardens use 0.6 lb. for a 500 sq. ft. area. When treating a home foundation, use 0.3 to 0.6 lb. for every 500 sq. ft. for standard treatment, for 3 & 6 months of control, apply 1.2 lbs. per 500 sq. ft.
- Store in a clean, dry, well ventilated place and avoid excess heat. After partial use, reseal opened bag by folding top down and securing.
Water in after application. Be careful not to water to the point of run-off.
What to Expect
- Fast-acting and kills by contact.
- Kills above and below the ground.
- Provides 6 months of control against ants (except pharaoh, carpenter, and harvester ants).